Table of Contents hide
Tezpur University RankingIt was ranked 73rd overall by the National Institutional Ranking Framework of 2021 and 46th among universities.
History of Tezpur University
Campus of Tezpur UniversityThe university campus is at Napaam about 15 km east of Tezpur, the headquarters of the Sonitpur district of Assam. Napaam is an urban area surrounded by people of diverse caste, religion and language. The Napaam campus on 262 acres (1.06 km2) of land. The campus is bounded by pucca walls. Napaam is linked by a PWD road from the National Highway No. 37A at almost the midpoint between the Kalia-Bhomora bridge and Misson Chariali. Tezpur is linked by road and rail with the rest of the state and the country. There is a tri-weekly flight between Kolkata and Tezpur.
Accommodation of Tezpur UniversityThere are provisions for visitors to stay in the university guest house. Students may choose to stay in any of the men’s or women’s hostels. The university is primarily a residential university. The university has five men’s hostels (listed in order of construction):
- Charaideo Men’s Hostel: Named after the burial land of Ahom kings in Sivasagar, Assam.
- Nilachal Men’s Hostel: Named after the Nilachal Hill in Guwahati
- Kanchenjungha Men’s Hostel: Named after Kangchenjunga, the third highest mountain in the world (after Mount Everest and K2).
- Patkai Men’s Hostel: Named after the Patkai-Bum, the Khasi-Jaintia-Garo, and the Lushai hills mountain range in the eastern Himalayas.
- Saraighat C. V. Raman Men’s Hostel: Named after the Saraighat Bridge at Guwahati and the famous Indian physicist and Nobel laureate Sir C. V. Raman.
- Bordoichilla Women’s hostel: Named after the seasonal storm that occurs in Assam every spring, before and after the festival of Bihu.
- Dhansiri Women’s hostel
- Pragjyotika Women’s Hostel
- Suwansiri Women’s hostel
- Kopili Women’s Hostel
- New Women’s Hostel
- Pobitara Madam Curie Women’s Hostel: Named after the Pobitara Wildlife Sanctuary and the physicist Marie Curie.
Communications of Tezpur UniversityE-Rickshaw, the chief mode of public transport in and around Tezpur, runs between Tezpur University and Tezpur city. There is an ASTC bus utility between the university and the ASTC bus stand located at the heart of Tezpur city near the State Bank of India (Main Branch). ASTC and private buses run daily between Tezpur and some other major places like Guwahati (ISBT, Lokhra), Bongaigaon, North Lakhimpur, Dibrugarh, Tinsukia, etc. 20-seater cabs ply between Tezpur and Paltan Bazaar, Guwahati. Dekargaon Railway Station offers a link between Tezpur and to other parts of Assam. Travelers can also opt for flying to and from Tezpur where the nearest airport – Tezpur Airport provides air link with Kolkata and Silchar. For other destinations, the nearest airport is the Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport at Guwahati.
Organisation and administration of Tezpur UniversitySchools and departments The university has four schools of studies which are divided into 27 departments and additional centers and cells.
- School of Sciences
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- School of Management Sciences
- School of Engineering
- Department of Chemical Science
- Department of Mathematical Science
- Department of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology
- Department of Pharmacy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Environmental Science
- Department of Assamese
- Department of Cultural Studies
- Department of English
- Department of Foreign Languages
- Department of Mass Communication and Journalism
- Department of Sociology
- Department of Hindi
- Department of Education
- Department of Social Work
- Department of Law
- Department of Business Administration, Tezpur University
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Commerce
- Centre for Disaster Management
- Department of Computer Science and Engineering
- Department of Computer Science & Engineering
- Department of Design
- Department of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Food Engineering and Technology
- Department of Civil Engineering
- Department of Energy
- Department of Physics
Special centres and cellsCentres
- Centre for Endangered Languages (CFEL)
- Centre for Inclusive Development (CID)
- Centre for Innovation Incubation and Entrepreneurship(CIIE)
- Teaching and Learning Centre (TLC)
- Centre for Women Studies (CWS)
- Research & Development (R & D) Cell
- Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Cell
- DBT Nodal Centre
- ONGC Centre for Petroleum Biotechnology (CPBT)
- Bioinformatics Infrastructure Facility (BIF)
- Institutional Biotech Hub
- Internal Quality Assurance Cell (IQAC)
Official Contact Details of Tezpur University
- Address: Tezpur University, Napaam, Tezpur, Sonitpur, Assam 784028, India
- Website: http://www.tezu.ernet.in
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: +91-3712-267007/ +91-3712-267008/ +91-3712-267009
- Fax: +91-3712-267005/ +91-3712-267006