Gauhati University

  Gauhati University holds the distinction of being the first university in north east India. Situated to the west of Guwahati city this institutiton is an affiliating university for more than 235 colleges in the region. Recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) this university offers graduate and post graduate programs in faculties of arts, science, technology, commerce, management and law. However the crowing features of Gauhati University is its central library and research center. The largest library in Assam, this central library of Gauhati University is home to over 8,50,000 books and close to 5000 valueable manuscripts dating back to as far as 300 years. PicsArt 12 24 04.17.51

Gauhati University Ranking

The National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) ranked Gauhati University 67th overall in India and 45th among universities in 2021.
TLR (100) 59.87
RPC (100) 17.04
GO (100) 81.09
OI (100) 55.87
PERCEPTION (100) 22.20

History of Gauhati University

The first public demand was made at the annual session of the Assam Association held at Sivasagar in 1917. In 1940, the Government appointed S. K. Bhuyan as Special Officer with the task of collecting relevant information on the selection of site and related matters. The university was established by an act of the State Legislature: the Gauhati University Act 1947 (Assam Act, XVI of 1947) of the government of Assam in 1948. The first court meeting of the university was held on 26 January 1948, which is considered the foundation day, at the old Sudmerson Hall of Cotton College, Guwahati. Gauhati University started functioning as an affiliating, teaching and residential university in a few temporary buildings in Guwahati, with K.K Handique as the first vice-chancellor, Phanidhar Dutta, Sailandhar Rajkhowa and Sarat Kumar Dutta were selected as the registrar, treasurer and secretary of university classes, respectively. The emblem of the university, selected from among many submitted, was designed by T. Mukherjee, a textile designer of Ahmedabad. Two Sanskrit words inscribed on it – Vidyaya Sadhayeta (meaning achievement through learning) – indicate the motto of the university. It had 17 affiliated colleges and eight Post Graduate Departments on its establishment. The university which started functioning from the city center was shifted to the present campus in 1955–56.

Campus of Gauhati University

The university is in Jalukbari in the Guwahati city area. The campus has a hillock on the southern side and the Brahmaputra river flows on the northern side. The campus area has been developed into a small township, now known as ‘Gopinath Bardoloi Nagar’. It has about 6000 population including 3700 students residing in the hostels. Apart from the residential quarters of teachers, officers and employees, there are 22 halls of residence for students. The necessary civic amenities such as health service, water supply, street lighting, internal roads, guest house, post and telegraph office, a branch of the State Bank of India, United Bank Of India, canteens, a market, parks, playgrounds, auditorium, indoor stadium, etc. are on campus. The university is 10 km from the Lokpriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport on National Highway No. 37; 5 km from Kamakhya Railway Station; and 10 km from Guwahati Railway Station as well as from the bus stop near the Cachari (D.C. court) at the heart of Guwahati City. The capital complex of Assam at Dispur is 22 km from the university. The university is easily accessible from the Guwahati city; Guwahati has road, rail and air links from all parts of the country. A large number of bus services from parts of Assam have their station at Adabari bus stand which is 2 km from the campus. To automate their internal processes, Gauhati University has chosen Kalingasoft’s flagship Education ERP solution, Greycells. This implementation has resulted in the complete automation of the university’s academic, administrative and financial processes.

Library and regional center in Gauhati University

The North Eastern Regional Centre (NERC) of the Indian Council of Historical Research (ICHR) is in the Gauhati University Central Library Extension Building. Along with Bangalore ICHR Regional Centre, this is the only regional centre in GU so far. The university’s Krishna Kanta Handique Library is a designated ‘Manuscript Conservation Centre‘ (MCC) under the National Mission for Manuscripts established in 2003. The library is the largest in Assam, holding about 850,000 books, magazines, and journals in its collection. It also hosts about 5,000 valuable priceless manuscripts, some more than 300 years old.

Governance of Gauhati University

The G.U. Court, The Executive Council, and The Academic Council are the authorities of the university. In 2019, Professor Pratap Jyoti Handique was appointed as the Vice-Chancellor of the university.

Colleges under Gauhati University

When Gauhati University was established, it had 17 affiliated colleges. Today it has 326 colleges in Assam which are affiliated to Gauhati University. This included Cotton College till it became a university. The affiliation of Cotton College was transferred from Calcutta University to Gauhati University after the later was established in 1948.

Official Contact Details of Gauhati University

Below some Important links for Gauhati University

Gauhati University Portal

gu portal

Gauhati University Examination Results

Gauhati University Admission

Gauhati University  Fee Structure

Leave a Comment